"To give ourselves to God in prayer is to find a door in our heart unlocking and opening to the hearts of other people." - Father Donald Haggerty

Putting Our Faith In Perspective

 Photo by Maarten van den Heuvel on Unsplash

 

I'm here as a Catholic Christian and an American citizen – in that order.  Both of these identities are important.  They don't need to conflict.  They are not, however, the same thing.  And they do not have the same weight.  I love my country.  I revere the genius of its founding documents and its public institutions.  But no nation, not even the one I love, has a right to my allegiance, or my silence, in matters that belong to God or that undermine the dignity of the human persons He created. 

                                    Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

He Was Not Off The Mark, Was He?